Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Friday Boundary Bay

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by mparkes » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:41 pm

I'm heading down to WR for the SW... Hopefully someone be there for a launch... Looks like decent SW for the rest of the afternoon.
mparkes

by Mike » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:48 pm

Boat launch. Wind clearly gone SW now. Lots of whitecaps out in the bay. White rock likely place to be now.
Mike

by Roxstock » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:27 pm

Any osr for whiterock? It looks like nothing north of Richmond has switched SW and seems to be dropping off down south.
Roxstock

by george » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:21 pm

Sorry, not an OSR obviously, but WR delivered the goods. 8-11m depending on the board, knee-thigh waves, sunshine, no weeds. Lonesome windsurfer, C36 was making friends with all the stringers, and dropping some smooth gybes and tacks. Was all good.
George
george

by C36 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:42 pm

george wrote:Sorry, not an OSR obviously, but WR delivered the goods. 8-11m depending on the board, knee-thigh waves, sunshine, no weeds. Lonesome windsurfer, C36 was making friends with all the stringers, and dropping some smooth gybes and tacks. Was all good.
George

:D

Silver windows. Was aiming for Gabriel's Beach and M waved me off (crazy cross chop) so I was headed for the 40 mph graph at Locust when the SW arrived at White Rock just before I was passing by. Time for a look see. No kites up when I arrived but watched them launch and decided on 5.3/115 (sometimes big, sometimes small and sometimes just right) and no gloves (likely should have taken them).

Fun field of playful little onshore waves on the slack mid-tide offered mini jumps in both directions and pushy little backside rides (and a few front side tries).

Nice 'cool down' session after the full meal on Wednesday.

Pre-Session OSR

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow
C36

by Michael » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:06 am

Crazy session at PR. Wind switched to SSW just after I launched and made for an interesting set up. When I launched things were looking really good with some nice big waves rolling in. Launch felt like Whidbey West Beach today with the wind almost dead on shore and big waves to get out through. During my first reach the wind switched really fast and then it was SSW. Was sailing straight into some head high swell but it was hard to get up speed to jump and when I did the waves were so close together you were landing on top of the next wave which made for a real bumpy ride. I did manage to get in a few nice front side rides with the wind coming SSW and the big waves still coming SSE. But things were really messed up and I gave up after a while. I then tried to SUP as there was still some nice size waves coming in but the cross chop made it almost impossible to stand up and I couldn't catch any. Got to check it out on a big ESE or SSE.
Michael

by gabrielb » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:15 am

thx for the info. good to know that there is still height on the switch se to sw. sw must have been a direct hit to beach, scrambling se waves, jetty did not help. probably 1/2 hour of good surf, and a few wedge waves in the transition. next time.
fcs-sup-surf-zane.jpg
fcs-sup-surf-zane.jpg (55.33 KiB) Viewed 5812 times

SW died after 5 pm, like Jeff said, seems inland ENE is always a bad sign (like SE for NW).
gabrielb

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR