Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Wind Wed Thur Fri Sat

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by george » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:45 pm

Alton wrote:Locust delivered way more than expected. 2.5 hours on 7m (overpowered) + surfboard from 11am-2pm with Cash, Jerry, George, David Culver, Garret, DJ ... and a few more locals. Knee to waist high clean waves with 40' spacing. S 25-35 was quite a handful but still fun. Some epic gusts felt like hot air blowing out of a furnace. Nice to end a session with big smiles and dry gear.

Locust_Wed_Jan_27.gif

That was a great afternoon. Depowered 6m wind and not gusty out in the bay, unlike what the graph shows. Tide was a bonus with little 5' breakers out by the shelf. Agree with everything else Alton writes.
George
george

by C36 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:49 pm

Alton wrote:Locust delivered way more than expected. 2.5 hours on 7m (overpowered) + surfboard from 11am-2pm with Cash, Jerry, George, David Culver, Garret, DJ ... and a few more locals. Knee to waist high clean waves with 40' spacing. S 25-35 was quite a handful but still fun. Some epic gusts felt like hot air blowing out of a furnace. Nice to end a session with big smiles and dry gear.

Locust_Wed_Jan_27.gif

george wrote:That was a great afternoon. Depowered 6m wind and not gusty out in the bay, unlike what the graph shows. Tide was a bonus with little 5' breakers out by the shelf. Agree with everything else Alton writes.
George

Thanks for the addition George, I was curious to know if they showed up on the higher tide. Glad you guys were there to enJOY it! :D
C36

by Roxstock » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:42 pm

Iona 13g19 at the moment. I may check it out after work.
Roxstock

by gabrielb » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:10 pm

9 ft tide. long walk to get some depth. (17-28 knots, looks good) just dropped to 8.
WB/acadia another option.
gabrielb

by AdrienGrelon » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:56 pm

Gabriel - gloves are out of the question, mainly for loss of style points. I hadn't sailed in nearly 2 months which is why the skin on my hands tore so easily... I'm thinking about using either duck tape, or some of the stuff Dave suggested, preemptively next time I have a big session after a long time off water. Robby Naish used to duck tape up his feet and ankles before sessions.

Bought some first aid supplies, hopefully won't take too long to heal up. Definitely not in time to chase some wind this weekend though...
AdrienGrelon

by Brian C » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:52 pm

Duct tape is awesome for protecting your feet in boots (hiking, snowboarding etc) - cheaper and way more effective than fancy first aid supplies. My mountaineering friends taught me that years ago.
Probably not so good for sailing though - I think it would quickly fall off your wet hands unless it's wrapped around your fingers, plus it has no stretch for anywhere you need that. Better just work on some calluses. :|
Brian C

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR