Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SE Saturday?

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by gabrielb » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:59 pm

Adrien, PR surf only works for windsurfing with a minimum 26 knots se. Otherwise surf does not break 50 meters away. Surf started 3pm by 450 pm decent sets, today, on shallow water.
gabrielb

by Alton » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:57 pm

Pleasantly surprised by how strong the wind was at 3rd Ave. SSE 25-30 from 10am to 2pm overpowered on 9m and 7m (low wind setting). 7m with high wind setting was just right.

At 10am AJ (6m) was first on the water, followed by Faceplant (12m) then me (9m). Sunny with steep waist to chest high waves but choppy and disorganized. Had to hunt for clean waves mostly near shore. Heard the windsurfers got the best waves outside and downwind of Centennial.

By noon, many new arrivals including Jerry and Roxstock then later Chalmers, Francis, Jaryn. Switched to 7m and waves cleaned up somewhat for an hour before becoming disorganized again.

Overall, good day on the water but surprised by the small turn out. Everyone must be busy Xmas shopping.

Boundary_Bay_Sat_Dec_19.gif
Boundary_Bay_Sat_Dec_19.gif (24.52 KiB) Viewed 5006 times
Alton

by Michael » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:44 pm

Great day! Fun riding the waves with Mike and Lubo, saw you guys catch some nice rides! Also shared a wave with a kiter, not sure who it was though? Was sad everyone left, I sailed until just before dark but it got a little spooky out there by myself. The waves just kept better as the tide went out, at one point the waves were really starting to jack up when they broke and I got washed a few times. Ended up on the 5.2 with the 80L, nice but probably my last session of the year.
Michael

by Mike » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:16 pm

Michael wrote:Was sad everyone left, I sailed until just before dark but it got a little spooky out there by myself.

Glad you had a good session. I was on water at 11am and off at 3pm. Net over 3 hours actual tow. First 1.5 hours was solo windsurfer (were a few kiters at 3rd). I would have joined you for longer but not enough energy left. As Alton said, I'm surprised by the low turn out.
Mike

by AdrienGrelon » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:30 pm

gabrielb wrote:Adrien, PR surf only works for windsurfing with a minimum 26 knots se. Otherwise surf does not break 50 meters away. Surf started 3pm by 450 pm decent sets, today, on shallow water.

Thanks for the on-water observations, GB. The next time I'm out in the new year, once my wave board is fixed, it'll be for a classic Columbia Beach banger. This working man is going for quality, not quantity, in 2016 ;) Plus I need to get my port-side DTL skills more refined for the OR coast this coming summer, and I can't really do that at Centennial!
AdrienGrelon

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR