Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Backloops Time

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Mike » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:08 am

Alright, been hearing more chatter this year than any other. For me I'd like to make some forward attempts but the 30 or so knot days we had in early November is wind I don't usually see (I think I'm a big chicken). For backloops I'm a mere "attempter". Unlike many other moves the first part of the backloop is actually very intuitive. Just jump straight up then look over your shoulder for your landing at the peak. The real challenge is in the landing. I think my recent efforts lead to over rotation, thus the impact vest. Coming down more nose first is actually "gentle" but then how to stay on the board? The videos below talk about landing pointing more downwind and on rotation staying close to the boom and back hand back on rotation. Hopefully Saturday will set up right!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uzQjdoybfhw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b_frq0brXQw
Mike

by Chris Klohn » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:07 am

Hey Mike,

The biggest thing that helped me start landing them dry was ramp selection. Look for something steep, almost breaking, that doesn't require you to crank upwind hard before launching. I always used to turn hard upwind as I was taking off which ended up in a fast spinning rotation 99.99% of the time. It's no problem rotating all the way but damn near impossible to land as your spinning so quickly with lots of forward speed still.

If you can find the right ramp you can really slow the rotation and land with the nose downwind with almost zero forward speed. That was the key that changed how I approached backloops. You'll find it very easy to stay on the board when you touch down nose first, straight downwind without any speed. If you are still doing 20mph on a downwind, nose first landing you'll wipe out almost every time when you touch down.

Dry forwards require lots of speed off the wind.....l.llthe exact opposite of backies :D

Cheers,

Chris
Chris Klohn

by morrison » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:18 am

main-1.jpeg
main-1.jpeg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 10657 times

dont try to hard or think about it to much. try the move on land , no
kite or board just hop and twist till it
feels comfortable. then hit the water but nice and relaxed.
morrison

by morrison » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:37 am

apologies. thought this was a kite guestion.
i agree with above advice for windsurfing , but the last forward I pulled was ten years ago and landed late low tailbone first. when my legs stopped tingling and i could feel my toes again i decided i was getting too old and slow. Damn.
morrison

by Chris Klohn » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:46 am

I know the feeling :D
Chris Klohn

by AdrienGrelon » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:48 am

Mike, a few things clicked on these for me the last time at Columbia. I started humming the following cue to myself before going into attempts: "Jump up, tuck up, glare down".

"Jump up" = focusing on getting a vertical, into the wind jump. At first I was always throwing my shoulders into the rotation first thing and barely getying any height... once I started focusing on jumping first, rotating 2nd, things started going a lot better.

"Tuck up" = focusing on getting a good backfoot into bum jumping position at the peak, ala. Koster:

The more tucked up, the faster and tighter the rotation can be. I think it also puts you in a better position for the landing!

"Glare down" = Originally I was kind of glancing down just in time to sh!t myself and let go. Talking to Ryan and reading some pro tips, they really say you need be glaring at the exact spot you plan on coming down on. So that's one of the big cues I'm going to be focusing on this next session.

I think what Chris has said about ramp selection is key - the best attempts I've ever done have been off the best opportunities. Hopefully we get a lot of good opportunities tomorrow.

STOKED
AdrienGrelon

by Mike » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:36 am

Adrien - I found the same thing about rotating too fast when trying to turn too soon - on high wind the rotation can be harsh. Better more height allows things to slow. The pulling of the back foot is something to think about. I wonder if this puts you in position to push the tail down and nose up on landing??

Chris - Your concept of thinking about the forward motion makes a lot of sense and that did not occur to me. I'm thinking this is where the upwind jump pointing the nose straight up comes in. Usually the flaw in a move is not where it fails, rather a step or two before you are out of position.
Mike

by Chuck » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:56 pm

Less talking more doing! :D :D :D
Chuck

by Jaybrown » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:50 pm

Chuck has the best advice ;). I guess that's why I've never landed one!
Jaybrown

by LeopardSkin » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:05 pm

You and I are storytellers of the quantum soup.

Potentiality requires exploration. Consciousness consists of frequencies of quantum energy. “Quantum” means a redefining of the quantum.

Nothing is impossible.

source: new-age bullshit generator
Last edited by LeopardSkin on Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeopardSkin

Next

Return to Weather Talk and OSR