Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SE Saturday Local

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by keeldude » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:23 pm

fun double session at PR--LHP, too much east in wind for lily point to have any wind protection. surfed 10 to 2pm. half a dozen guys out, breaking 4-5 ft to occasional 6 ft, long rides, long walks up the beach. put a couple new holes in the board for sure, as well as my fairly new 7mm booties. entering and leaving the water is a pretty rowdy affair as the shorebreak is heavy with a strong sideshore rip alongside the cobbley beach. wind totally tanked around 2pm same with swell. switched nearly due east.
keeldude

by gabrielb » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:46 pm

Noticed the east switch at 1pm , ne, and then waiting at U.S. border at 130pm decided to call it quits as 2hour wait, 2 ways, can't justify 20 waves; headed for bb instead, yes it was all east, windsurfers & kiters.
I'll stick with Nw, tofino.
gabrielb

by ShonanDB » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:07 pm

Was planning on doing the trek down to Lily Point today but forgot that it's "pick up package" season at Point Roberts and turned around at the hill heading towards the border and went to Centennial instead. Rigged my 4.7 and took out the 73L and was fully lit to overpowered on my first few runs (around 11am). Made a few adjustments and things smoothed out (glad I didn't rig down to my 4.2) and found it very on and off where I was overpowered for 10 seconds then the wind would lull up where I couldn't even water start. Found the best waves between Centennial and 3rd Ave and stayed there until it tanked around 1pm. Struggled and limped my way in eventually without having to swim. :D
Had lunch and waited for a while until it seemed to build again but it was dead on shore. Just not enough to get planing on the 4.7/73L so switched to my 110L and all was good again. The 4.7 was just right with the big board and found the wind stronger and steadier heading North of Centennial and lighter and inconsistent South of Centennial up towards 3rd.
There were some nice port ramps setting up from time to time but quite choppy and the waves were close together. Called it a day shortly after 2pm. Looking at the sensors, it looked like it switched to East everywhere around 1pm. Columbia Beach or Comox must have been good today but not sure how the East wind would have affected the conditions there as well. Decent day overall and got to use my new Mano Weed-Wave (20cm) - very nice!
Darrell
ShonanDB

by C36 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:27 pm

Does Gretsky shoot left? Cause session 99 was port favoured ~ wind was steady, at first. Then the shifts and puffs made it hard to stay even with the beach on the gentle flooding tide.

Saw JB on the highway on the way down and then again out on the water - smiles shared both times! Saw George working the wind swell over the second bank! Shared some of the early wind with Joe as well (that's when it was still steady enough to drive upwind past 3rd). Fun to get out and play while I could. Surprised to see the wind shoulder off at noon on the graph later as models favoured the afternoon over the morning. Glad DB left Lily Point for another day!

Pre-Session OSR
Post-Session OSR

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slidshow
C36

by Alton » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:10 pm

Unbelievable session at 3rd Ave this morning from 9am to 11:30am in steady SE 25-30 on my 7m. Was disappointed not finding my surfboard from Beach Grove to 64 St but exceptional conditions made my day. Many thanks to Cash for lending me his surfboard.

Super smooth water between waist to chest high waves 30-40 ft apart. Surprisingly, both starboard and port side jumps were equally favoured. Loved carving down steep waves (without any kite power) riding toeside - too much fun.

By 11:30am wind ramped over SE 30, waves turned to chop then eventually clocked east. Good thing early arrivals left. Too bad late arrivals missed out.

Boundary_Bay_Sat_Dec_5.gif
Boundary_Bay_Sat_Dec_5.gif (19.71 KiB) Viewed 7953 times
Alton

by george » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:46 pm

Dave...I witnessed the blatant back loop! Okay, so technically you didn't sail away clean, but spiritually, you nailed it. Good one. Great morning.
Alton your board is down there amongst the mank. You have to suffer a bit more, that's all...the board spirits clearly want you to prove something, lol.
George
george

by AdrienGrelon » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:55 pm

Sounds like the early session at 3rd was better than what most of the Saturday-taking-our-time crew scored.

I got screwed over by poor road signage in Richmond and ended up north bound on the Oak Street bridge, having crossed the Knight Street bridge on my way down from Deep Cove.. the road rage was real, and it sounds like I lost 40mins of the best conditions of the day... Chuck, you'll have to give me some pointers - learning by doing may work for loops, but not for driving through Richmond :evil:

Got on the water probably around 11. Well powered on 4.8m and 87l, occasionally overpowered enough to consider my 4.2m - then I remembered I was at Centennial, the most fickle spot there is, and wisely hung onto my 4.8m for another 30mins or so until the wind eventually clocked and tanked..

Pretty much no ramps, but at least it wasn't too choppy. Managed to knock off one very clean forward, along with a few under rotated and 2 over-rotated ones. Good to at least shake the rust off.

Once my 82l is fixed and my debt to Mr. Mulder is paid off, I'll probably save my winter chasing efforts for Columbia Beach. Centennial is just too fickle.
AdrienGrelon

by Faceplant » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:05 pm

Sometimes shit just happens. I was part of the later crew. Scored 40 minutes of bliss then pulled the plug.
I'd love to go to Columbia for some day trips. Friggen ferry is too much gosh darnet. Even if you put 4 guys in a truck. I bet it would cost 50 bucks each to head over and back.
Faceplant

by C36 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:10 pm

Windsurfdan wrote:The Back loop The best loop of all but sometime the trickiest one to land.
Wind direction: Side to side off. Ramp steep. Wind don't need to be to power up. What I found that work for me is if you are too powered up just before taking off on a ramp sheet in hard and as you rocket into the rotation look over your shoulder, tuck in and spot a landing. Commit to this You don't need to be 25' up in the air. You can easily do a back loop on a 2' wave.
Dan

george wrote:Dave...I witnessed the blatant back loop! Okay, so technically you didn't sail away clean, but spiritually, you nailed it. Good one. Great morning.
Alton your board is down there amongst the mank. You have to suffer a bit more, that's all...the board spirits clearly want you to prove something, lol.
George

Haha! Glad you saw my 'spiritual' back loop! :lol: I still had Daniel's words ringing in my ears and when I saw the nice vertical 2' ramp with lots of power in hand I figured I would put it to good use! :D ;) Thanks for the acknowledgement George. Great morning for sure! :D

Hope you are reunited with the surf board soon Alton!
C36

by Slappy » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:24 pm

I had to pick up my new watch in PR before I could kite so I could make sure I picked up my kid at the right time. Crossed the border at 11:20, took 25 minutes. Picked up packages and my new surfboard. Took about 15 minutes to unwrap the thing they packed it so well.

Headed down to Lighthouse Park to check things out and the wind was thumping. Went out to the point to get some shots of the surfers and in about 5 minutes my pants were completely soaked on the windward side and dry leeward. Wasn't willing to brave Lighthouse Park kiting alone so I booked it over to 3rd. 10 minute border crossing to get back in to Canada but saw the giant line of cars headed Southbound as I drove off.

Arrived at 3rd just as the early shift was clocking out after the switch to Easterly. Looked at the TAF and decided it was going to come back so I suited up and pumped the 10m and grabbed the secret weapon. On the water from 1:30 - 3:15, a bit underpowered at first but things ramped up. It was nice riding the pure East wind as I could cruise over to Centenial and then right back up to the boat ramp in a single tack. Went out to the Mile Marker hunting for some swell but didn't find too much worth noting. There was a mix of SE swell that was nice size and shape that was getting clobbered by the 1-2 foot E chop.

The secret weapon proved to be very good at strapless airs which is the whole reason I got it. Thing sticks to my feet so much better than the Shinnster. I do miss the fancy deck pad and being able to ride backwards though. On the wave the secret weapon will take a bit of getting used to, I found I tended to have both of my feet too far forward and the fat front of the board tended to bog down on me. It holds a carve much better than the Shinnster.

Ended the day with a nice 30 minute boosting session on the TT. Me and a guy on an older yellow North kite were both throwing down some nice big jumps.
Slappy

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Talk and OSR