Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SE Thursday?

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by ShonanDB » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:29 pm

gabrielb wrote:warm too...
warm.JPG

swell went back up to 0.9m 2pm
swell.JPG

I'll try Lily point, such a short distance to build surf on SE; KD see there, we'll post OSR, Centennial should be good that day too.

If I can free Sat morning up I may make the trek down to Lily Point with my small windsurfing gear and make a day out of it if the 30kt all day forecast holds. I've sailed there twice this year (on high tide) but the wind dropped away both days so it wasn't epic. However, caught some nice rides in the bowl area where the waves were wrapping in and rode some really nice shoulder to head high rollers within a 100m of the point so no need to venture into the middle of the bay to find waves.
ShonanDB

by Ryancr500 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:36 pm

Centennial Beach was pretty volatile today. Rigged up my 5.3M/110 at 9:00 since Michael seemed fully lit on his 5.2. Was getting ready to go out and noticed Michael and David C36 coming in, underpowered. Waited a while... and seemed to be quite the lull for around an hour. Thought I'd better get my 'big' board.. and it just got less and less windy. just when David C36 pulled out of the parking lot, the winds picked up! Michael and Dave (tsawwassen) hit the water fully powered up. I was carrying my 5.3/110 to the water and noticed them racing back in survival mode. Re-rigged 4.5/95L (thanks eastside Ralph) and hit the water. Michael started shaking his head... still overpowered. Decided I'd go out to test the waters with the 4.5/74L and it was some crazy strong wind. Managed to use all my boards today and probably should have rigged my 3.7M. Decided to call it quits around 2:00. Wind was still really strong when I left.
Ryancr500

by C36 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:34 pm

Strange morning. Models said morning, wind said afternoon. Morning saw warm wind, cold water, pulses of wind and lots of gear changes (stuck to one sail and kept switching boards). Closely packed, steep wind swell with little to no wind to start, then wind with square chop. Just as I was leaving for my afternoon meeting the wall of 30+ arrived ~ I hope the afternoon shift fared better.

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow
Last edited by C36 on Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
C36

by Alton » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:47 pm

C36 wrote:Strange morning.

Strange day indeed. Started riding at 9am overpowered on my 9m at 3rd Avenue (SSE 25-30) with smooth conditions and awesome ramps. After switching to my 7m it got lighter (SSE 15-20), kite back stalled, couldn't relaunch and ended up with a walk of shame from Centennial.

After everyone arrived at 11am the wind returned but it was disorganized and choppy. My 9m was good for a while before it cranked up to SSE 30g40 at 12:30. Everyone was overpowered and left except Cash, Jerry and I (7m fully depowered) who scored an amazing session as the waves cleaned up - super smooth and chest high.

Sadly, I lost my surfboard again. Hope it turns up soon.

Boundary_Bay_Thu_Dec_3.gif
Boundary_Bay_Thu_Dec_3.gif (22.67 KiB) Viewed 5604 times
Alton

by Roxstock » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:25 pm

Got on the water just after 2:00 with my 7m with a chunk of depower pulled. Had great fun in the sun for 1:30 then the wind seemed to pick up, it felt like it was gusting well over 40 knots. I kept getting pulled off my board then struggled to body drag back up wind to it and kept getting lifted out of the water. Decided to call it quits then, but a good warm up for the weekend!
Roxstock

by Windsurfdan » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:11 pm

Great fun afternoon on my 4.2 a little too much east in it but worth the wait.
Windsurfdan

by Michael » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:20 am

C36 wrote:Just as I was leaving for my afternoon meeting the wall of 30+ arrived ~ I hope the afternoon shift fared better.
Thanks for the sacrifice Dave!! It cranked and some nice waves formed up for sure but I got tired quickly and that lead to a few bad mistakes. :shock:

Alton wrote:Sadly, I lost my surfboard again. Hope it turns up soon.

Sorry to hear you didn't get it back. Frustrating as I had it in my hands! Thinking about it now I should have used my harness to tow it in but at that point it was so windy and I was tired, just wasn't thinking. Right after that I jibed to head back out and smashed the nose of my board. Wasn't paying attention, hooked in after the jibe but wasn't in my straps and a nice big gust hit me, nasty catapult into the nose. :( Whish I hadn't have waisted my energy in the morning.

Windsurfdan wrote:Great fun afternoon on my 4.2 a little too much east in it but worth the wait.

Saw you do a backie and a bunch of forwards from down at Centennial. 8-)
Michael

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR