Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

NE Outflow Tuesday / Wednesday

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Brian C » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:40 pm

Bravo Jenn - we were jealous back on the Mainland but happy to see you scored a very lucky session between shifts! I look forward to trying SP on a NW one day. Finally got to try CB for the first time in Sept and definitely want to spend more time on the island.
Brian C

by Chris Klohn » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:19 pm

Anyone get out in Howe Sound today? Squamish, Britannia, Porteau, etc, etc ? 35-45 mph from sunrise to sunset and temperatures steady at a relatively "warm" +8C from first light until dark 8-)
Attachments
image.jpeg
Windy & "Warm" all day
image.jpeg (119.44 KiB) Viewed 5415 times
Chris Klohn

by C36 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:14 pm

Jennifer wrote:On the island for work this month and conveniently had today off! I wasn't expecting wind so it was a great surprise when the trees were all moving this morning.

Had a double session, first Columbia on the 4.2 nice wave rides but ramps were the wrong angle for jumps. Then checked out San Pareil it looks so good I put on a wet wetsuit and had a great 4.7 session with great jumping ramps and more nice wave rides.

From the locals apparently a NW is better at San Pareil and the waves here are the best at low tide (due to a sandbar). A bit of a shore break at high tide but not too bad as long as you time it! The waves were still pretty good at high tide.

Nice score Jen! It will be interesting to see if that 'month' gets extended!?! :lol: After all wasn't even thinking of sailing and scored a double session. :D ;)

Here are some numbers from the session logs over at http://www.bigwavedave.ca repeated here as an indication of frequency at three mid-island spots (Pipers, SP, CB):

DavidM (total of 102)
frequent flier at Piper's as it is walking distance from his house, but drives past SP to sail CB on SE
  • Pipers: 47
  • CB: 29
  • SP: 2

Kus (total of 85)
favours CB over SP
  • Pipers: 3
  • CB: 28
  • SP: 5

rvanderbyl (total of 74)
frequent flier at SP (both SE and NW) as he lives close by
  • Pipers: 0
  • CB: 1
  • SP: 50
C36

by Michael » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:16 pm

C36 wrote:Here are some numbers from the session logs over at http://www.bigwavedave.ca repeated here as an indication of frequency at three mid-island spots (Pipers, SP, CB):

Looks like you don't need to live on the Island to get in a lot of sessions. Check out this C36 guys log.... I believe that says 96!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-11-25 at 7.13.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-11-25 at 7.13.20 PM.png (74.91 KiB) Viewed 5339 times
Michael

by Faceplant » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:46 am

I can only dream of getting out that often. I guess I'll just keep buying those lottery tickets.
Faceplant

by C36 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:34 pm

C36 wrote:Here are some numbers from the session logs over at http://www.bigwavedave.ca repeated here as an indication of frequency at three mid-island spots (Pipers, SP, CB)

Michael wrote:Looks like you don't need to live on the Island to get in a lot of sessions. Check out this C36 guys log.... I believe that says 96!

:lol: :oops: I am grateful for every session.

:idea: Looks like a big number, but let's take a closer look.

The funny (or sad) part is less than half are in the Lower Mainland. And its worth noting that both DavidM's Pipers sessions (47) and rvanderbyl's SP sessions (50) are larger that my TOTAL session count for the Lower Mainland (45). :?
2015 YTD sites (pie graph).jpg
2015 YTD sites (pie graph).jpg (57.28 KiB) Viewed 5280 times

The other part is the quality of the sessions:
  • Long Beach tops my Van Isle list (7, tied with Nitinat)
  • Locust tops my US list (10)
  • Squamish - Spit tops my Lower Mainland list #18# and also lists third as Squamish - Nexen (6) - so that's more than half of my Lower Mainland session up at Squamish (24 of 45) :oops:

I know what I would choose out of these three (listed in this order intentionally). :D ;)

2015 YTD sites.jpg
2015 YTD sites.jpg (138 KiB) Viewed 5280 times

Faceplant wrote:I can only dream of getting out that often. I guess I'll just keep buying those lottery tickets.

:idea: Alton would be a better indication of upper edge of what can be hit locally (with a kite).
C36

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR