Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

S-SW Tuesday Local

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Brad R » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:42 pm

Just got back from Crescent Beach via 101 steps. Was good. Messy rodeo waves and 25-30 knots.

rigged 4.2/77L and was dialed.

next time I'll join ya'll at white rock but I only had time for a quick dip so stayed close to home.
Brad R

by Roxstock » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:39 pm

I decided to go to kits beach after work instead of white rock to get the most out of the remaining daylight. Had fun on my 7m from 3:45 to 4:45 with 30 knot on shore wind before it started getting dark. Mostly disorganised chop with the occasional waist high clean waves. One other kiter there called Alex who was doing some huge jumps on a 7m too. Is it EOD now?
Roxstock

by gabrielb » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:19 pm

Got there at 210pm, 30 knots, no waves. Checked dunderave, waves building. Got into pebble aside, small waves. At sandy aside after. Hb 1.3m not like last time. Nice to meet AG in the water and jack kiting. Disappointed but nice to be in the water on this wild day. Someone windsurfing past dunderave at 245pm too.

I passed the lions gate bridge at 520pm, 36 knot winds, it was oscillating lots, 3 lightning strikes or some kind of bright lights and North shore went dark, if we get hit by 45 knot winds I hope that bridge is sturdy enough to withstand it.
gabrielb

by Slappy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:20 pm

Turned out to be a killer session at Iona once the wind switched NW.

Just as I launched my 10m my CL accidentally released and I got a small tear on my kite. Good thing too because by the time I got back to the beach with my 7m it was 30-35 knots NW.

Almost full depower on the 7m from 2:30-4:30.

Waves were only knee to thigh high but so sweet. Coastal style waves 300m wide that curled as they broke. 6-8 turns per wave smackin' the hell out of the lip.

Sun was out and very warm. Hardly any debris in the water too.

Came in as it was getting dark. A bit sketchy landing my kite behind the wall in 30-35 knots. Thank god the grass wasn't wet.

Drove out at 5:01 before the gate locked and North Sails was open late so I made it in time to drop off my 10m.
Last edited by Slappy on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slappy

by ShonanDB » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:24 pm

Arrived at White Rock East Beach (EB) shortly after 9am to high tide with white water everywhere and 25 knots of mainly on-shore wind. Drove down to West Beach for a look-see but it was dead onshore there and long lines of chest high waves closing out and washing what was left up on the rocks..... - so I decided to head back to EB as it was slightly side on there. There were some nice chest high + wave faces in close to the pier that were surfable and seemed to be fairly protected from the wind by the pier itself and the rock barriers at the end of the pier.

When I got back to EB C36 was there and after some detailed technical analysis and evaluation we took a guess and rigged 4.2 and 4.0 respectively. I think it was my turn to be humbled today as the waves were big enough to separate the wind from the water and only touch down in the break zone intermittently. I was wishing I had slightly more volume than my 73L wave board and spent about 40 minutes getting rolled continuously keeping my equipment and myself precariously safe between the rocks, logs, and the breaking waves, working on my shorebreak survival skills - something I haven't had to do in a few years. Finally decided to get out when I found one of those cement ramps that head down to the water and did the walk of shame back to the grassy area. Took a few minutes rest and gave my sail some more shape and moved my mast base about an inch forward and took another try after seeing C36 finding some success heading South. The adjustments and my shorebreak survival practice helped as I got up and got planing (kept planing) and worked my way out through the shore pound. Once back on a port tack and in cleaner wind I found that the 4.2 was a little too much in the gusts but wow was it fun as you could hit peaking wave after peaking wave for as much air as you wanted. Most of the wave faces were waist to chest high but I first avoided, and then started hitting the shoulder and the odd head high faces. Sailed continuously for about an hour and then it started to lull up before picking back up during a rain squall and then steadying out at about 25 knots for a while. It was nice to have steady wind and actually enjoy the waves hitting off the lips on starboard and big floaty port jumps. Saw a couple perfect waves for back loop attempts but just aired off them instead. At the end, I got caught a little too far inside when the wind started to back off a bit so I called it a day (12ish). Great day on the water (other than the first 40 mins) and it sounds like the afternoon was as good or even better.
Darrell
Last edited by ShonanDB on Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShonanDB

by C36 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:41 pm

Sour to sweet.

Funny how quickly you forget how fickle a spot can be.

Strange as it seems the kites had an 'easy' launch on the high tide. My session started with a tippy-toe-walk in shoulder-high water just a few yards out from the shorebreak pounding on the boulders along the shore about half way to the pier after the wind backed right about the same time I launched, folded by a underpowered coast into the corner and an unceremonious roll off into the water in ever diminishing wind along the shore. Once walked/swam back, I extracted myself from the water, thankfully unscathed, I walked up along the beach as far as could to the south and relaunched southbound. That's better, planing rides, jumps and carving. Wind-wave angle was side-on SSW so you could jump to port outbound and easily make it to the outside in one reach. I stayed inside to tune and once again got stuck along the shoreline, underpowered and rolled when the wind shifted SW again. Much swearing and gnashing of teeth followed. The wind was now too light for the 4.0. One more try - 4.5 this time and helped, sort of, well not really, then back to the launch. I'd had about enough at this point, but told myself if Chuck and M were getting rides by the time I took my 4.0 apart on the freshening wind swinging WNW, I go out again.
[shots in the gallery are from this part of the session]

And they were, so off I went - this is when mana from heaven was poured out for about a half hour. Beautiful mid-tide smooth sets and steady wind! A Chuck-me-M party wave, some really fun frontside tries, a few felt-high stock jumps and a few back loop attempts! All this fun in the power-half-hour made for some big smiles (and release of early session angst). And then I remembered why I come back to White Rock – the ‘golden’ moments make the hours of frustration worth it!

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow
C36

by gabrielb » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:34 pm

.also did you make it out Adrien?, there were a few good sets at sandy Ambleside, it just needed more height (1.5m) and more wind; it seemed it was hard to waterstart close to the pier ... 6ft to 9ft tide with these conditions would've been much better.
best waves came at 4:30-5pm.
gabrielb

by Randal » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:28 pm

Acadia filled in late (3:45) and was good till sunset. it was about 25G30, maybe a little more. At dark, once we were off the water it really ramped up, and there was sheet lightning over north van. There were 4 of us out.

The waves were really good, nice sets with good spacing were coming through regularly. I was on the 102 + 4.5 and it wasn't too bumpy. Got some long and fast rides on the big board. Lots of port side jumps and wave rides on both tacks. I spent most a lot of time trying to cut back off the lip from toe-side. Hands were too tired by the end due to wearing gloves. Starting to get a bit of a feel for it after 3 good sessions this week. That's more wave sailing for me than the last few years put together!

It was pretty much classic Acadia. There've been better days but it was right up there.

More please!
Randal

by Richi » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:37 pm

Acadia was Dynamite! 2 hours of overpowered sailing on a 4.0 and 70l, 3.3 m tide made for butter smooth sets coming in. I should have rigged the 3.5 but didn't want to take a chance at it dropping while I rerigged. It was sunny with a huge rainbow that started at point atkinson and arched to downtown. Pretty amazing warm session shared by Kato, Lubo, Tom, Randy and another windsurfer, no kiters to be seen. I cant wipe this stupid grin off my face :D
Richi

by Chris Klohn » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:41 pm

Richi wrote:Acadia was Dynamite! 2 hours of overpowered sailing on a 4.0 and 70l, 3.3 m tide made for butter smooth sets coming in. I should have rigged the 3.5 but didn't want to take a chance at it dropping while I rerigged. It was sunny with a huge rainbow that started at point atkinson and arched to downtown. Pretty amazing warm session shared by Kato, Lubo, Tom, Randy and another windsurfer, no kiters to be seen. I cant wipe this stupid grin off my face :D

Great score Richi!!
Chris Klohn

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Talk and OSR