Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

NW Sunday.

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Slappy » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:40 pm

Anyone get any good shots of surfers at Ambleside?

Jack, for now the 5-2 would be a much better fit for you behind the kite but at least you can prone surf the 5-4 and you'll probably grow in to it for kiting in a year or two.
Slappy

by Jack1587 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:54 pm

I found these 2 photos on Instagram. One is of all the surfers waiting for waves. The other is me riding along on my new surfboard and 9m
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (121.64 KiB) Viewed 15031 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (109.48 KiB) Viewed 15031 times
Jack1587

by C36 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:02 pm

Morning. The day started off with a 'look-see' at Iona.

Iona OSR
Iona Gallery (better for mobile devices)

And then a 'look-see' at Acadia.

Acadia OSR
Acadia OSR 2
Acadia Gallery (better for mobile devices)

Before deciding to sail at Spanish Banks at the 'kite beach'. Safest launch with some wave we could find. Nice waves inside, but not enough wind to work them. More wind outside. Lots of wide-eyed wood watching and a couple of hard hits. Nice to see Sailworks-Adrian's return to the water. Sorry Alton lost his surfboard. Glad Jericho rescue picked up Francis (after kite deflated and folded).

Spanish Banks Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Spanish Banks Slideshow

Afternoon. Quick 'look-see' at Garry Point.

Garry Point OSR
Garry Point Gallery (better for mobile devices)

Then off to Gulf Road to join DB and the brothers RyanCR500 for a fun little cool down session in steady wind and playful water.

Gulf Road Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Gulf Road Gallery (better for mobile devices)
C36

by Alton » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:03 pm

Jack1587 wrote:I found these 2 photos on Instagram. One is of all the surfers waiting for waves. The other is me riding along on my new surfboard and 9m

Hey Jack - can you still launch on the east side of the totem pole with all the surfers there? Or do you have to launch from the west side which seems more challenging with the shore break and piers.
Alton

by Brian C » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:05 pm

Today was a fun day at Spanish Banks for me. 4.5/95 litre worked well most of the day. Needed my sunglasses to try to see all the wood coming inbound, and still hit too many pieces. The ancient Bic was the ticket though - plowed through the stuff without damage, including one catapult. I'm still looking for a nice 90 litre replacement for it, but I think I'll keep the old barge for these kind of days now and then.
Nicest session was solo windsurfing from about 115 - 2pm. The wind was just right to play on the waves, which seemed better organized by then. The hovercraft was sure LOUD though!!
The sun saved us from the NW chill, although I think it's time to pull out the skis.
Brian C

by BigBill » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:25 pm

1st one out out at A-side on 10.5m and TT from 12:00 till 2:00 in 25-30 knots. Thanks Gabor for the launch and thanks for someone rescuing my board as well. Super strong current near the river mouth and overhead swell on the ebb tide. Lots of wood and big logs near the shore, had to really look before jumping, glad I wore sunglasses for the glare. About 6-8 kiters out today and 1 windsurfer, and hover craft coming into the boat ramp? Really had to keep my distance from him.!
BigBill

by Jack1587 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:30 pm

Alton wrote:Hey Jack - can you still launch on the east side of the totem pole with all the surfers there? Or do you have to launch from the west side which seems more challenging with the shore break and piers.

It's still possible to launch on the east side but the rocks scare me and it has the gnarly shore break on big surf days. I launch on the west side. I walk up close to the sailing club and launch there. The shore break is a bit less strong. I still got slammed a few times trying to start because wind was a little light but it's better be slammed into sand rather than sharp barnacle covered rocks like the east side.
Jack1587

by Alton » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:38 pm

Jack1587 wrote:It's still possible to launch on the east side but the rocks scare me and it has the gnarly shore break on big surf days. I launch on the west side. I walk up close to the sailing club and launch there. The shore break is a bit less strong. I still got slammed a few times trying to start because wind was a little light but it's better be slammed into sand rather than sharp barnacle covered rocks like the east side.

Thanks Jack. I never thought about launching near the sailing club. I'll try that next time.
Alton

by BigBill » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:52 pm

Alton

I prefer launching on the east side of totem pole because the wind is generally slightly side/on apposed to straight on west of totem pole. As well wind is generally stronger the more east you go, sometime no wind at sailing club. Make sure you wear booties though for the barnacles and rocks, hope this helps!

Bill
BigBill

by spinmaster3000 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:24 am

tweegster wrote:It blew till dark in WR, in fact it is still going now. James and Derek scored triple sessions. Anyone who didn't kite today... I hope you have a doctors note. :mrgreen:

Sadly, I do. But, I'm living vicariously through all of your collective stoke!
spinmaster3000

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR