Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SE Thursday

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Roxstock » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:39 pm

Roxstock wrote: It was windy enough for global news to come down a film some of us out on the water.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sSsiLKzLBaA
Roxstock

by tweegster » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:11 pm

It's bonkers in WR right now, had to tie the deck door shut. :shock:

Wish we had some flood lights for night riding. I got off work early and went home to WR after Mark said 3rd was too strong for 7M. WR felt like 35+ at the grass, high tide, direct onshore. Errr no thanks.
tweegster

by Richi » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:23 pm

Fun session at BBay with a 3.5 and 70l. Surprisingly it was manageable, with all the talk last night I thought it was going to be bonkers, and watch from the beach. But holy crap did winter start? I was sailing with no booties 10 days ago, today it was booties, gloves and 8 degrees! WTF El nino! And a special thanks to George for lending me a sail mast cap for my 3.5.
Richi

by filipj » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:19 pm

That was kinda fun, but since I suck at survival sailing, not my best session. Out on 4.2 and 87L on the working man's shift (3-5pm), mostly overpowered. Thanks to Mike for convincing me to not go on the 4.8, and for Lubo for the 'on the water' jumping 101 tips (which I sorely needed). Wind was more manageable/I was more dialed in from 4to 5. Session ended with a swim and walk of shame when I got seperated from my gear on one of the banks and had to retreive it at near the lookout structure/point well downwind of the park. Good full body workout! :cry: Nice to see so many out on a weekday. :D
filipj

by Chris Klohn » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:34 pm

Richi wrote:Fun session at BBay with a 3.5 and 70l. Surprisingly it was manageable, with all the talk last night I thought it was going to be bonkers, and watch from the beach. But holy crap did winter start? I was sailing with no booties 10 days ago, today it was booties, gloves and 8 degrees! WTF El nino! And a special thanks to George for lending me a sail mast cap for my 3.5.

Sounds like the crazy winds didn't quite make it up past the border Richi with you on a 3.5 sail and Cash still able to hold onto a 10meter kite :D It's probably a good thing they didn't materialize as it would have been no fun watching from the beach :( I saw Locust had average winds in the mid to high 40's with gusts into the high 50's most of the afternoon today...........suicide! Checkout Whidbey tomorrow if you can. Great SSW winds all day as the cold front moves through and the low fills.
Last edited by Chris Klohn on Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Klohn

by Chris Klohn » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:42 pm

1/2" drop in the Mercury today and peak winds of steady 47 knots gusting to 53 today at Smith Island............ : :shock:
Attachments
image.jpeg
Awesome
image.jpeg (153.14 KiB) Viewed 13843 times
Last edited by Chris Klohn on Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Klohn

by Lubo » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:43 pm

Lost, forgot my downhaul tool at turnaround grass area. Please let me know if you found it.
Lubo

by Slappy » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:30 pm

There were some big waves way on the outside, head high easy but getting to them and back up wind proved to be a real chore. Went out on my 5m +SB from 11:00 until 1:30ish (lost my watch going through the ringer on a really big wave) and was totally underpowered except for the gusts.

Then I switched to TT + 7m for some fun Locust style boosting. Returned to the outside with 7m + SB after that but it was still too hard to recover ground to take many rides.

Then at 4:00 things seemed to really pick up just as we were all packing in, struggling to make it upwind to 3rd because we were all overpowered.

The gust/lull cycle seems really bad today, you'd get 10-15 seconds of 20 knots followed by 10-15 seconds of 40 knots. Got ripped off my surfboard by sharp gusts more than a few times.

There was also some back current in the waves such that unless your board was getting hit by the whitewash it wouldn't move downwind. Made for some annoying body drags in overpowered conditions.

Still a good day, if a little frustrating at times. Very tired after 5 hours of either sineing or getting yarded.
Slappy

by adam2 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:51 pm

I was out from 11 'til 1:30 on a 5.5m with a surfboard and a TT. I was thankful I didn't rig a 7, though that said there were lots of people on them and bigger. I can't imagine even considering a 10m in that wind.
adam2

by C36 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:56 pm

Frankie was right! It cranked!

Day started with M rigged and ready to go before 9 am and Ryan rolling his new-to-him T4 surf van. The wind was solid from the start and my 4.5/92 was short lived and then went straight to 3.6/74 and it was well powered for well over 2 hours. Nice rolling swell over the second bank at Centennial and up off the boat ramp, but the water off 3rd was cross-chop today when I passed by (Alton made mention of the it too). Big crowd for a weekday in November. More poles on the water today than strings. Nice to see Jerry, Cash and George out ripping on kites. Nice of Laura and Alton to swing by Centennial to say hi. Sorry to see the blue and white 7 m float by sans rider, but glad to see the rider make it back to land safely. Lots of frontside tries, vertical jumps and even a Broward (forward attempt for the Bro's stuck at work).

Fun day!

Pre-Session OSR
Mid-Session OSR

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow
C36

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Talk and OSR