Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SE Thursday

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Chris Klohn » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:35 pm

Frankie is the man!

Nice shots and small sails Dave. The wind on the water in your pictures looks much stronger then the graph you posted. Wonder if there is a little bit of a wind shadow near the sensor in today's direction? Looks great for a much more mellow half day session on Friday. Next Monday/Tuesday has a very interesting low starting to develop. So much for a mild start to the winter storm season with El Niño :roll:
Chris Klohn

by Michael » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:21 am

Ryancr500 wrote:Caught Michaels backloop attempt but I wasn't about to try.

Glad you saw it because the video footage was corrupt. :( I changed sim cards and got about another 25 minutes of footage but can't read the file.
Here is a short vid of a few wave rides at Centennial, 4 nice turns on one wave, you could almost go frontside but I got back winded on a few trying. The first one riding switch was the first wave of the day on the 4.7, I was so over powered, funny how it doesn't seem windy on the video.
Some of the best wave riding yesterday I've had out there. Waves were long and smooth.
Thanks for the pics Dave!

Michael

by gabrielb » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:32 am

Michael,
that is very cool. Great to see windsurfing techniques on water; ... crap that looks fun and I may have to start high wind windsurfing instead of usual planing cruising (7m/130l), it's getting heavy and it feels like a boat (after surfing on 6' boards), but it's been working most sessions on predictable Jericho.
thanks for posting.
gabrielb

by C36 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:48 pm

Tony360 wrote:...Thanks to all who checked to see if I was ok, including Dave/C36 and Jerry for the tow in which saved me a long painful swim. Thanks to Cash who told me where to go look for my kite (on the bike path between the south end of beach grove and 72nd). Miraculously, that's where it was. I waded out to grab it before it hit any land, and it was undamaged! Even more amazing was that my beloved 5'10" Al Merrick floated up right next to it.

Thumbs up to all the crew who helped and checked on me. Although I was stressed about my gear, I never feared for myself because of all the people who offered to help...

You are very welcome! So glad you got in safely (and recovered your gear). I am pretty sure I saw George circling your kite too about the time I noticed it.

Chris Klohn wrote:...The wind on the water in your pictures looks much stronger then the graph you posted. Wonder if there is a little bit of a wind shadow near the sensor in today's direction?...

Agreed. Graph shows 35 mph gusting 40 mph. There were times where it 'felt' like more than 40 mph out on the water for sure and I would suspect the average on the water might have been closer to 40 mph.

Nice screen shots and video M! :D
C36

by AdrienGrelon » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:43 pm

Glad to hear El Presedente was well taken care of in his time of need!

Big Chuck, were you holding down the fort on your 5.0?! :lol:

Michael, during that first toeside ride I was expecting you to do a heelside cutback and gybe the sail back (Gorge style)! That's something I've been meaning to try there. You're getting those outside wave drop-ins on lock 8-)

Fingers crossed for Sunday.
AdrienGrelon

by Chuck » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:37 pm

Ha!

Took me forever to get my act together and sail rigged; wrong mast, messed up the extension settings etc as it has been a long while (Oregon Coast last year :o ) since I sailed my.....wait for it....
4.2!!

Straight off the plane from Japan, ran home and grabbed my gear and made it in time for the afternoon shift.

Man, I have forgotten just how much fun high wind windsurfing is :D :D :D Stomped a few nice Endoes and over rotated a few stardard ones...soooo much fun just sending it as big as possible on the stock airs. Realized my back loops need some work :oops: Thought it was 2005 all over again with OG Downtown Chris Brown making an appearance.
Gusts to 35 all day long on the outside...was feathering the sail a bit more than usual making my head dips and rail rides challenging... Almost considered rigging the 3.5 as a novelty but cooler heads prevailed and sailed til close to dark.

Thanks to the dude who helped me unstick my mast!!

Good times, windy windy

What a killer November so far, three sessions in the past week with more (hopefully) on tap
Chuck

by Chuck » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:08 pm

Michael wrote:
Ryancr500 wrote:Caught Michaels backloop attempt but I wasn't about to try.

Glad you saw it because the video footage was corrupt. :( I changed sim cards and got about another 25 minutes of footage but can't read the file.
Here is a short vid of a few wave rides at Centennial, 4 nice turns on one wave, you could almost go frontside but I got back winded on a few trying. The first one riding switch was the first wave of the day on the 4.7, I was so over powered, funny how it doesn't seem windy on the video.
Some of the best wave riding yesterday I've had out there. Waves were long and smooth.
Thanks for the pics Dave!

Great Vid Michael!

Sorry we missed each other! Would have been a great "Party wave" Day!

And great pics C36! I wasn't convinced it was that windy on the drive down but boy was I proved wrong! Them kiters don't know what they're missing ;) !!

Let's hope for more soon
Chuck

by Michael » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:29 pm

gabrielb wrote:Michael,
that is very cool.
Thanks Gabriel! Yes, could be time to get a short board!

Chuck wrote:Great Vid Michael!
Thanks Chuck sorry I missed you, next time!
Thanks to Dave and Adrien as well, could be some epic sessions coming up, hope to see you all on the water again soon!
Michael

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR