Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Westerly Wednesday JWSP

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Chris Klohn » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:40 pm

Killer setup shaping up for Wednesday down on Whidbey. There's a strong front moving through the area overnight Tuesday into Wednesday morning with very tight pressure gradients forecast to setup in behind. They've got full gale warnings and wind advisories already for eastern JDFS. Timing looks to be first light throughout early afternoon.

I'd strongly recommend Whidbey over local Westerly options on Wednesday. It looks like there's going to be too much South in it locally to setup a classic day for Acadia. If it switches to a more W-WNW forecast direction then Acadia should work. When Acadia cranks Whidbey is 99% dead and vice versa. The forecast for Wednesday right now favours Whidbey with the SW-WSW direction.

There's also a good chance Locust will still have strong SSE winds at dawn on Wednesday. Perfect day to sail/kite Locust for dawn patrol on the SSE and low tide then head to West Beach when Whidbey starts cranking and the tide is rising.

AG / Chuck Holy Grail Time :D
Chris Klohn

by Chris Klohn » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:00 pm

Locust SSE Wednesday dawn patrol, JWSP late morning until afternoon :D
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (56.3 KiB) Viewed 6877 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (37.12 KiB) Viewed 6882 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (67.73 KiB) Viewed 6882 times
Chris Klohn

by Chris Klohn » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:32 pm

Something significant is on its way when the NWWS issues a wx statement covering 120 hours out :shock:
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (269.42 KiB) Viewed 6869 times
Chris Klohn

by Chris Klohn » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:10 am

Looking very good still for a full scale westerly gale in JDFS filled in to West Beach on Wednesday. GFS, NWWS, EC and MM5 all showing 25-40 knot west winds developing after frontal passage near dawn on Wednesday. Looks like a very good Locust SSE early am / JWSP W late am until late afternoon combo day.

One thing looks for certain, JWSP will get a solid westerly. The local westerly is a bit of a crap shoot with the projected direction of the front and isobars. It looks to have too much south in it to really go off at Acadia. I'm hoping I'm wrong and Acadia rages 30+ knots sideshore all day :D
Attachments
image.jpeg
12pm Wednesday JWSP Gusts
image.jpeg (67.95 KiB) Viewed 6852 times
image.jpeg
8am Wednesday JWSP Gusts
image.jpeg (54.57 KiB) Viewed 6853 times
Chris Klohn

by Tony360 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:25 am

That looks so awesome, would love to check out Whidbey Island on a westerly gale.

But I think I probably have the best excuse why I can't make it. My wife has a pedicure appointment at 2pm and I have to look after our daughter, so I have to stay local. Hoping for a reasonably strong NW at Ambleside or SB. :D

I hope that someone scores this Whidbey session and posts some photos.
Tony360

by 8mdude » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:21 pm

Tony360 wrote:That looks so awesome, would love to check out Whidbey Island on a westerly gale.

But I think I probably have the best excuse why I can't make it. My wife has a pedicure appointment at 2pm and I have to look after our daughter, so I have to stay local. Hoping for a reasonably strong NW at Ambleside or SB. :D

Bro, Whidbey is nice. It kind of reminds me of Jordan River. But I wouldn't drive there knowing there'll be wind in Acadia. I go there when I'm desperate and no wind locally. I doubt you'll find Vancouver locals there this coming Wednesday, at least not me :-).
8mdude

by Faceplant » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:24 pm

I know I'm probably starting to sound like a broken record, but I think Wednesday is looking good for me. Last time I was at JWSP it kinda freaked me out. The waves were huge, and side shore current made it difficult to get up and penetrate through the shore pound. Coming in was also challenging. It's the real deal. I think low tide is supposed to be easier. Wither way, my heart is starting to beat fast and I have to poop now.
Faceplant

by Chris Klohn » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:43 pm

Just like a late Fall Harrison White Springer that takes you deep into the backing on your 10 weight spey..................trust your gear and yourself. No need to jump into the 17' Piranha and fire up the LS3 and Hami 212.

Whoops..............wrong forum :D
Chris Klohn

by Chris Klohn » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:53 pm

amanlig wrote:
Tony360 wrote:That looks so awesome, would love to check out Whidbey Island on a westerly gale.

Bro, Whidbey is nice. It kind of reminds me of Jordan River. But I wouldn't drive there knowing there'll be wind in Acadia. I go there when I'm desperate and no wind locally. I doubt you'll find Vancouver locals there this coming Wednesday, at least not me :-).

I hope Acadia cranks on Wednesday to save the trip to Whidbey. I just don't see the telltales for a classic Spanish Banks day yet........still too much south. Hopefully things will change with the next forecast run.
Chris Klohn

by mparkes » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:01 pm

Where is JWSP? In the states somewhere?

I have to stay local Wed I think, prob crescent or terminal.
mparkes

Next

Return to Weather Talk and OSR