Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SE Saturday?

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Roxstock » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:12 pm

I tried out locust for the first time today. May the call with Jeff at 8:00 when 3rd ave was dead. Really enjoyed it down there, launched on my 10m at 9:00 and felt good for about a hour, but then the 44 knots gust became uncomfortable so I switched to my 7m. Today was the first time I've ever needed depower on my 7m. I tried a surf board for the first time and some fun with that. Coming home we had no boarder wait at all which was nice. All in all a good day, it would have been good to play in the 3rd Ave waves though.

P.S. The walk at locust is not that bad at all, I was expecting it to be a lot worse.
Roxstock

by Michael » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:56 am

Tony360 wrote:I think I saw a gopro on your boom - hoping for some pics to get an idea of the scale.
Sorry Tony my camera died before things really picked up. Battery life in those things is so short.
I only got this one shot from earlier on, they were much bigger when we were out there later.

Alton wrote:I'm totally jealous I didn't have the patience to wait for a wave session at Boundary Bay
That's why I never end up going to Locust. I'm always to worried I'm going to miss that rare but sweet Boundary Bay session. I'm willing to take the risk of less or no wind just in case it pays off.

Brian C wrote:ps - Michael, I thought the waves were really good but not exceptional, so I'm guessing they were even better upwind where you were.

Hey Brian that's the other reason I launch from the Boat launch.
When the tide is low the waves set up really nice on the outside bank there. They do at Centennial as well but they are usually bigger at the boat launch.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-11-07 at 11.38.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-11-07 at 11.38.36 PM.png (2.09 MiB) Viewed 7512 times
Michael

by Lowesdown » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:18 am

Well that was my best session to date.

Started out okay as the wind built, had a brief board meeting with Micheal and Lubo. Micheal asked to try out my Freestyle Wave, he took it out for a brief ride. Once he returned I asked how well I rigged it. I didn't.... :( :( Turns out I haven't been putting enough downhaul on that bad boy.

I went back in re-rigged with a lot of down haul, and wow. My sail now had power down low where i could manage it and less tendency to catapult me. Thanks Micheal!!!

I had much better success ripping in the straps, until I got tired. Practiced staying upwind ish, and all in all a great day. Can't wait for the next one and to ride with a properly down hauled sail! :lol:

Lowesdown

by Tony360 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:35 am

Great photo thanks! You are right it was a bit bigger at its peak, but the still really shows the shape nicely, kind of a bowly face with crumbling sections.

Hoping for more sessions like that in the near future. :D
Tony360

by C36 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:15 pm

Alton wrote:I'm totally jealous I didn't have the patience to wait for a wave session at Boundary Bay

Michael wrote:That's why I never end up going to Locust. I'm always to worried I'm going to miss that rare but sweet Boundary Bay session. I'm willing to take the risk of less or no wind just in case it pays off.

Glad you had such a BB sweet session M. :D

I hear you on being concerned about missing a 'good' one at Centennial. My threshold of risk is a little different (likely because I have seen what Locust can offer up on a 'good' day, and there have been more than few). Year-to-date for me is an even split of 10 and 10 for Centennial and Locust.

You should ask Jerry or George what they have seen at Locust, you might be surprised to hear about what some of the better days on the outer edge of the bank look like in Locust-land. :D ;)

I miss the 'ship wreck'. :? :cry: :D ;)

The good news is we have choices. :D
C36

by Chuck » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:57 pm

Sorry Alton, the waves were incredible at Bbay, best I've seen in a while. The outer bank was setting up some sweet faces! Wishing I had been on the windsurfing gear as there were some really nice ramps....I chased Michael around a little and saw him launch some nice stock airs. He was in perfect position a few times to just pull the trigger, bear off and sheet in :D :D Just saying'!

On another note, saw some killer pics on BWD of some sweet Backie action over at CB courtesy of our very own AG and C36 :o Good work representing!

Now about this NW tomorrow and the forecast upgrade...
Chuck

by Michael » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:43 pm

Chuck wrote:He was in perfect position a few times to just pull the trigger, bear off and sheet in Just saying'!
Yesterday was a perfect day for it but I just can't seem to do it! Super frustrated with myself for not trying.
Michael

by AdrienGrelon » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:17 pm

Chuck wrote:On another note, saw some killer pics on BWD of some sweet Backie action over at CB courtesy of our very own AG and C36 :o Good work representing!

Thanks for bringing those to my attention, big Chuck! Hadn't seen them yet - stoked!! :D
AdrienGrelon

by Roxstock » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:18 pm

Iona beach tomorrow chuck?
Roxstock

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR