Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Friday SE

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Michael » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:29 pm

Mike wrote:Big score at Columbia today. Overpowered 4.5 for first half finally relenting to 3.7 (which worked much better when with a smaller fin). AG aerials and C36 picking the big waves. Tried a few backloops that ended in the nose dive but generally too chicken when so powered. Interesting wave set up. You take a wave down then sail clew first and with the right wave and timing you cutback. Some of the locals have the timing and positioning pretty dialed in. I left for the 3pm ferry exhausted with others still going strong. Nice to see David M (past Vancouver local).

Hey Mike glad you scored at CB. It takes a bit of getting used too the way you ride those waves. Some of the locals have it dialled but I always have a hard time. At the end of my last session there I started to get it but it was only when the waves really started picking up that it was fun and then the wind started dying off. I couldn't tell from the webcam how good the waves were today but they looked like they were getting big near the end of the day. Glad you had a good time, hope we get some wind in the morning.
Michael

by Chris Klohn » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:34 pm

max.spock wrote:Whidbey doesn't look very exciting compared to Columbia and Comox today :o

Waist high swell in the bay is about it at Useless when the tide is high. The webcam doesn't show the breaking waves to the left as the sandy bottom gets shallower close to shore. I would guess they were waist high at best with the 25-30mph winds and tide today. Nothing compared to some of those overhead sets at Comox and probably Columbia too :shock:
Chris Klohn

by AdrienGrelon » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:03 pm

Chris Klohn wrote:Light green/white Goya sail and a greenish/blue colour sail with an orange luff sleeve seem to be throwing down every couple of minutes. Is one of those you AG?

Chris - neon blue sail with the orange luff is my 4.2.

Wicked day at Columbia. Got my first stay-on-a-plane forward (there was a bit of spinout upon landing, but I'm still counting it), and a handful of fully rotated backloops - really good progress on these today.

Great vibes with Dave, Mike, Essex and all the usual local suspects out - sea lions included. 4.2m was just right to too much, mostly too much actually, all day. Sailed until both my hamstrings and forearms were cramping too badly to continue sailing.

Post-session beers in Kus's hottub with the hard winds still a blowin' and the smell of log fire in the air to top the day off.
AdrienGrelon

by Chris Klohn » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:30 pm

Wicked forwards and backloops AG. Love the vertical launch with the slow rotation to the right after you were at your peak. Nice downwind, nose first landings too. You must have been wound on your 4.2 with gusts to 40 knots :shock: That guy on the Goya was throwing down some super lofty backs and dry forwards too. That stoke will last you for weeks :D

Cheers,

Chris
Chris Klohn

by Chris Klohn » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:08 am

And still going..........
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (103.41 KiB) Viewed 7067 times
Chris Klohn

by AdrienGrelon » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:19 am

Chris, just to clarify I didn't stick any backies fully yesterday, though one was close: downwind landing still in the straps, then clew went all crazy on me and the sail got ripped out of my hands.

If I got a session like that 2x a week I'd be ready to kill the amateurs at Pistol River :D

Green sail is Chris / Winddoctor. His backloops are a thing of beauty, and he makes those waves work too.
AdrienGrelon

by C36 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:27 am

Chris Klohn wrote:Wicked forwards and backloops AG. Love the vertical launch with the slow rotation to the right after you were at your peak. Nice downwind, nose first landings too. You must have been wound on your 4.2 with gusts to 40 knots :shock: That guy on the Goya was throwing down some super lofty backs and dry forwards too. That stoke will last you for weeks :D

Cheers,

Chris

Goya board: Likely Winddoctor
Goya sail: Likely Downwinddave

Lots of spinning happening yesterday including Redbaron, Nanmoo and others!

Many thanks to the mutts and the rest of the Van Isle crew for hosting yet another great session! Click here to view CB gallery (Nov 6) or here for the slideshow. Enjoy! :-)
Last edited by C36 on Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by Chris Klohn » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:58 am

AdrienGrelon wrote:Chris, just to clarify I didn't stick any backies fully yesterday, though one was close: downwind landing still in the straps, then clew went all crazy on me and the sail got ripped out of my hands.

If I got a session like that 2x a week I'd be ready to kill the amateurs at Pistol River :D

Green sail is Chris / Winddoctor. His backloops are a thing of beauty, and he makes those waves work too.

Pistol amateur slayer :D These were definitely dry with a full, slow rotation.............someone with similar sail or I may have mistook the colour with the webcam. Anyways, awesome to watch and glad you all scored!
Chris Klohn

by Chris Klohn » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:15 am

Awesome shots as always 8-)
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (47.62 KiB) Viewed 7036 times
Chris Klohn

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR