Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Friday Dawn Patrol

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Alton » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:14 am

Ferry Terminal NW 20 at 5am. Hope it holds.
Alton

by ShonanDB » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:53 am

Tsawwassen is showing NW 20 g 27 at 5 am
YVR sensor is gusting to 20
Sand Head's sensor is at 25
BWD forecasts it to gradually drop to below 20 just after 8am at Tsawwassen
Windguru and Iwindsurf are showing it may last longer at Sandheads

Heading to Garry Point Park for 7am. Will post an OSR when I arrive.
DB
ShonanDB

by AdrienGrelon » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:00 am

I knew I felt the typical chill of a NW as I was leaving the house this morning.. Enjoy!
AdrienGrelon

by AltonJR » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:05 am

"Alton Senior" woke me up at five in the morning for dawn patrol at a new spot, Tsawassen ferry terminal. I was the first one on the water (wind dummy) on 10m and twin tip. The wind was up and down but I managed to hold some ground. Overall, great session before I am away next week for more life guarding courses. I hope I don't miss too much.
-Abrielle Ing
AltonJR

by Alton » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:20 am

Fun dawn patrol session with Junior (10m), Mike (12m), Jeff (12m), Marcus (14m), Shane (15m) and James (14m). Tricky staying upwind with shifty NW 15-20 on my 11m Waroo+surfboard. Hilarious watching James ride tandem with his 8 year old son on his surfboard+14m.

Tsawwassen_Fri_Aug_21.jpeg
Tsawwassen_Fri_Aug_21.jpeg (61.7 KiB) Viewed 10626 times
Alton

by 8mdude » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:01 pm

AltonJR wrote:"Alton Senior" woke me up at five in the morning for dawn patrol

There'll be more of this in the winter :)
8mdude

by ShonanDB » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:14 pm

Had another good day at Garry Point Park this morning. The forecast looked mixed when I got up at 5am so I took my time and got there just after 8am. It was 15+ at the time but soon jumped up to 20 so I rigged my 5.3 and took out the 110L. Well powered until just before 10am when it ramped up more. Switched to my 73L and took a few runs but rigged down to my 4.7 as the 5.3 was too much. Got about an hour on the small gear until a couple big container ships came through and messed up the wind on the water. Took a short break to let them pass and then switched back up to the 5.3 as it looked as if it dropped a bit or wasn't touching down as it was before. Sailed well powered for another 30 minutes but had to call it a day as I needed to get downtown for meetings at 1pm. It seemed to fill back in when I was packing up and it looked like it was small gear conditions again. 2.5 hours TOW that could have been 4+ if I had arrived earlier and didn't have meetings booked in the afternoon as the Sands Head's sensor showed it lasted until noon as the forecast had predicted. The SH sensor tends to under read the actuals and I noticed that although the YVR sensor dropped to 10 knots around 7am, SH was still over 20.
The Windguru forecast for Richmond ended up being pretty close to actuals again today so that's 4 for 5 which is great. The tide was over 2m when I got there and building so the current was less of an issue today. Water conditions were from knee to thigh high rolling swell with regular jumpable faces that favoured port jumps and starboard riding. When the ships came through it flattened everything out for a while with some narrow sections of rollers and chop coming through where the wind was touching down. Not many boats today so I had the place to myself except for a few seals. I don't remember sailing this often locally in the summer since moving back in 2007. Great session and looking forward to the next one if this weather pattern continues.
DB
ShonanDB

by shmish » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:51 pm

Which forecasts do you look at for Garry Point? Taswassenn on bigwavedave? Boundary Bay?

thanks

ShonanDB wrote:Had another good day at Garry Point Park this morning. The forecast looked mixed when I got up at 5am so I took my time and got there just after 8am. It was 15+ at the time but soon jumped up to 20 so I rigged my 5.3 and took out the 110L. Well powered until just before 10am when it ramped up more. Switched to my 73L and took a few runs but rigged down to my 4.7 as the 5.3 was too much. Got about an hour on the small gear until a couple big container ships came through and messed up the wind on the water. Took a short break to let them pass and then switched back up to the 5.3 as it looked as if it dropped a bit or wasn't touching down as it was before. Sailed well powered for another 30 minutes but had to call it a day as I needed to get downtown for meetings at 1pm. It seemed to fill back in when I was packing up and it looked like it was small gear conditions again. 2.5 hours TOW that could have been 4+ if I had arrived earlier and didn't have meetings booked in the afternoon as the Sands Head's sensor showed it lasted until noon as the forecast had predicted. The SH sensor tends to under read the actuals and I noticed that although the YVR sensor dropped to 10 knots around 7am, SH was still over 20.
The Windguru forecast for Richmond ended up being pretty close to actuals again today so that's 4 for 5 which is great. The tide was over 2m when I got there and building so the current was less of an issue today. Water conditions were from knee to thigh high rolling swell with regular jumpable faces that favoured port jumps and starboard riding. When the ships came through it flattened everything out for a while with some narrow sections of rollers and chop coming through where the wind was touching down. Not many boats today so I had the place to myself except for a few seals. I don't remember sailing this often locally in the summer since moving back in 2007. Great session and looking forward to the next one if this weather pattern continues.
DB
shmish

by ShonanDB » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:11 pm

[quote="shmish"]Which forecasts do you look at for Garry Point? Taswassenn on bigwavedave? Boundary Bay?

thanks

Windguru Richmond HRW 4km (middle forecast on the page)

http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc ... sty=m_spot

I also check Tsawwassen and BWD for comparison.
DB
ShonanDB

by C36 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:59 am

ShonanDB wrote:Had another good day at Garry Point Park this morning...

Thanks for the detailed report DB! Sharing experiences/knowledge helps others (myself included) understand new spots. :D
C36

Next

Return to Weather Talk and OSR