Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Ferry Terminal Wednesday

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Faceplant » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:48 pm

Hoping it happens. I'm hoping to head there for first light. Get a nice pre- work blast.
Faceplant

by AdrienGrelon » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:50 pm

Looks like a good N NW forecast lining up for Long Beach. Could be a unicorn day for those on the island.

Not sure I have the steam to chase local wind tomorrow before work..
AdrienGrelon

by Faceplant » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:49 am

OSR
NNW feels like 12-18 kts. Just got here. Definitely not blasting.
Faceplant

by gabrielb » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:40 am

yes, wreck beach was not windy in the morning (medium surf 0.8m, nothing exciting), strait wind was mild.
Friday morning has more momentum (Sisters forecast lines up), may get 20knots that morning but it will shut down by 9am... may get 6-7:30am some 20knot wind @ terminal.
a lot on North (west is missing this summer).

450am? worse than me, got WB at 5:40am (barely saw the stairs), Adam there, 1 more surfer.

must enjoy summer, water is getting colder.
gabrielb

by C36 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:23 am

AdrienGrelon wrote:Looks like a good N NW forecast lining up for Long Beach. Could be a unicorn day for those on the island.

Not sure I have the steam to chase local wind tomorrow before work..

Thursday too ~ and model 2 has joined the party - it will be interesting to see the actuals for both days and if any session logs surface. Too busy at work to go. :evil:

Faceplant wrote:OSR
NNW feels like 12-18 kts. Just got here. Definitely not blasting.

Graph for Garry Point (Sand Heads) looked to be teasing and tide would have been a nice height (based on a sample size of 1). Would be curious to hear if anyone went for a look-see or a session there this morning.

gabrielb wrote:yes, wreck beach was not windy in the morning (medium surf 0.8m, nothing exciting), strait wind was mild.
Friday morning has more momentum (Sisters forecast lines up), may get 20knots that morning but it will shut down by 9am... may get 6-7:30am some 20knot wind @ terminal.
a lot on North (west is missing this summer).

450am? worse than me, got WB at 5:40am (barely saw the stairs), Adam there, 1 more surfer.

must enjoy summer, water is getting colder.

Good for you GB! Glad there were a few out there enjoying the surf! :D
C36

by Ryancr500 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:14 pm

Three kites in the sky at the ferry terminal on the southside. One windsurfer on the Northside.
Ryancr500

by ShonanDB » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:37 pm

"Graph for Garry Point (Sand Heads) looked to be teasing and tide would have been a nice height (based on a sample size of 1). Would be curious to hear if anyone went for a look-see or a session there this morning."

Dave
I've found that the Windguru GFS for Richmond (HRW 4km - middle forecast) is pretty accurate for Garry Point from the 4 times I've sailed there.

Friday morning looks promising.
http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc ... sty=m_spot

DB
ShonanDB

by C36 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:30 am

ShonanDB wrote:Dave
I've found that the Windguru GFS for Richmond (HRW 4km - middle forecast) is pretty accurate for Garry Point from the 4 times I've sailed there.

Friday morning looks promising.
http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc ... sty=m_spot

DB

Good to know. Thanks for sharing! :D

Curious to hear what you found the other 3 sessions (wind strength, sensor, current, swell). Here are few things I noticed on my one session there:

Wind
  • actual wind was strong and steady (~25 mph+ 4.5/92)
  • Sand Heads sensor seemed to be flatter than actual wind - under reporting both peak wind and diminishing wind - wind was steady at Garry point but stronger than SH's sensor at peak and dropped off faster than SH's seonsor showed (likely a function of hourly readings - a lot can happen in the other 59 minutes :roll: )

Swell
  • strong current shore to shore (slightly faster on lower tide)
  • 3m tide and 25 mph wind = nice smooth rolling swell (riding favoured over jumping)
  • 1.5 m tide and 25 mph wind = swell became a little square and angry (more control sailing with riding harder but still favoured over jumping)
C36

by ShonanDB » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:30 pm

C36

I'll try to put together more detailed notes when I have a chance. Dawn patrol tomorrow looks mixed. BWD and Richmond Windguru look good but G-Spot and Tsawwassen Windguru show it backing off by 8am. Richmond Windguru is the only forecast showing it over 20 knots past 9am so not sure what will actually transpire.

Will get up at 5:30am and make the call then based on YVR actuals and the updated forecasts. I'll post here and send a quick text then.
DB
ShonanDB

by Flysurfer » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:40 pm

Guys,
trying to get in a session before work as well....need at least 19 knots to try out my new 10 meter..otherwise its back to my old 15...

will be at the ferry around 6.30...need to be at work at 9.30

see u there!
Flysurfer

Return to Weather Talk and OSR