Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Westerly Tuesday?

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Alton » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:41 pm

Slappy hit Dog Beach on his 10m+Shinnster just as I arrived - after 10am. I waited for the tide to drop below 3m at 11am for less sketchy launch. My 10m kite only dropped out of the sky once before waterstarting my surfboard. Slappy was way upwind at Upper Acadia but I was too marginally powered (WSW 15-18) to catch up so I was stuck in Dog Beach purgatory. Had to work hard to stay upwind but fun gybing off the swell outside.

Later switched to my twin tip (+10m) to join Chris on his 11m+TT. Both of us lost ground and ended up half way to Spanish Bank. I was so underpowered I could not do a simple transition without sinking. Problem solved by downlooping my transitions - so much fun.

Overall, a good 2 hr session at Dog Beach.

Jericho_Tue_Aug_18.gif
Jericho_Tue_Aug_18.gif (16.63 KiB) Viewed 5030 times
Alton

by Roxstock » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:45 pm

I had a similar session in the afternoon. On the water from 5:00 for 1 hour will lots of gusty wind for the first 50 yards from the shore, but nothing on the outside. Fighting the tide to stay upwind on my 12m and twin tip. Fun session but not as much wind as the sensors were indicating.
Roxstock

by AltonJR » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:50 pm

I got in a short 30 minute session at Dog Beach with light and gusty wind on 10m and twin tip.
-Abrielle Ing
AltonJR

by Slappy » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:04 pm

I had a good session from 10:15 - 12:30. A little on the light side but still lots of fun. There were about 20 boats fishing just off the edge of the bank today. I had to go up near the Acadia marker to get out past them in to the bay. Swell in the bay was only waist high and inconsistent.

Wind had filled in all over though and I went a bit past half way to Lighthouse Park before I decided I shouldn't risk getting stranded on the wrong side, especially without bus fare.

Headed up to Tower beach and there was some nice clear waves there close to shore but the wind really lightens up if you get too close. Rode those back down to upper Acadia and then played in the waves there until it was time to go to work.

I decided to do a grass launch today as last time at Dog Beach I got two paws clean through my kite. It was a bit sketchy but looking good until I noticed two little kids hanging out right at the path to the water so I had to abort and looped the tip of my kite in to that little tree's top. Thankfully that tree isn't very pokey and my kite was fine. Once the kids moved on it was a bit sketchy but manageable, not something I would do if there were a lot of people around though.
Slappy

by LeopardSkin » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:18 pm

Locarno was decent in the evening. Around 15 to 25'ish knots. Most windsurfers on 5.X. The usual gang was there.

So far it's been windy every Tuesday evening for the past half month!
LeopardSkin

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR