Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Wind This Sunday Morning?

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Alton » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:16 am

OSR from C36 wrote:Play to listen.

Dave/C36 - Thanks for the OSR. Maybe try the Ferry Terminal or Point Roberts

I'm probably too late. Hopefully some kiters can enjoy this morning.
Alton

by Alton » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:50 pm

OSR by C36 wrote:Play to listen.

Crap - I missed it. Glad you and Michael scored a good sesh.

Blow Me teorology   Almost as good as the real thing.jpeg
Blow Me teorology Almost as good as the real thing.jpeg (58.48 KiB) Viewed 11921 times
Alton

by gabor » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:33 pm

Got to BB at 9 am the wind was ify: gusty and swirling wanted to switch from SE to SW; did not worth to OSR. Kited alone with 12m + raceboard. Gave up by 10, still went to check out the ferry strip, which was on shore. Should have gone to Point Roberts instead...
gabor

by Michael » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:00 pm

Yup Point Roberts delivered a very fun session. Was glad Dave came out to Boundary Bay and got me going this morning but really glad we went over to Point Roberts to check it out.
Some really nice swell and breaking waves just off the point. Gabor I think if the Tsawwassen sensor looks good then it's a safe bet Point Roberts will be as well. Dave looking at the Tsawwassen graph above do you think it was stronger at PR?
Michael

by Richi » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:59 pm

Had a nice 2 hour session from 10-12 today at BBay boat launch. :D

Dave's OSR didn't really fill me with cheer but the alternative was Christmas shopping, so a planned skunk trip didn't seem so bad. I expected to see Dave around but I guess he bailed and tried elsewhere. I decided to go out with a 5.6 and 100l for some light wind schlogging action and probably a swim, there was not even one kiter out. I was going to post a carbon copy of Daves observations on his OSR, than realized I left my phone at home. Surprisingly when I Schlogged 1/2 way to the marker there were some big gusts and a solid 20knots past the marker with some really nice waist to shoulder high head on ramps! I came in a few times to see if the water state looked like it changed, but is still looked flat as a tack. I guess you don't see the whitecaps when it's south to south west, very deceiving.

So it was totally worth the drive after all, and before going home I combed the beach and picked up tons of driftwood for Christmas presents, Done and done! ;)

And thanks again for the board delivery David, very kind of you.
Richi

by ShonanDB » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:34 pm

Was thinking about Crescent Beach this morning and got up at 6am but the sensors around the bay were 10 - 16knots so I didn't go but after reading this thread I'm bummed that I didn't. Did anyone go to Crescent or White Rock this morning? Just wanted to compare the conditions to PR that C36 and M had.
ShonanDB

by decman_r » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:37 pm

Went to Locust in Bellingham today. Lit on a 8.5m kite between 10 and 1. Excellent day. Drove by East Beach on the way down and it wasn't very windy. Could of made it work on a big kite and race board.
decman_r

by C36 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:04 pm

Michael: I would say Point Bob was all of the Ferry Terminal graph (and maybe a little bit more) - second gear 6.0/110 (just had to rattle the sail a little and work the swell to keep it going at times). There was also about 20 minutes of overpowered too. 8-)

Richi: Your most welcome! Happy to pass the board from Chris to you. :D

Nice pleasant session at Point Roberts - 8 degrees, rolling swell, point break, jumps in both directions, even some sun! :D There were some really big swell trains on in the deep water 'channel' to the west that allowed slow-motion jibes! 8-) Even sailed around the point (the 'horn') and got backside pushy rides along the beach. Jumps to starboard while rounding the 'horn'. Fun rides on the smooth faces at the 'horn' wondering if you were going to get thrown onto the beach. :o Really fun little session! :D

Even got out skiing later the same day too! Nice reminder of what the west coast can deliver! 8-)

Audio on-site-reports:
Centennial at dawn
Arrival at Point Bob
Post-session at Point Bob

Slideshow:

FULL SIZE. No Flickr login? Try this
C36

by Alton » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:52 am

decman_r wrote:Went to Locust in Bellingham today. Lit on a 8.5m kite between 10 and 1. Excellent day. Drove by East Beach on the way down and it wasn't very windy. Could of made it work on a big kite and race board.

Thanks Rob - I was considering Locust when I saw SW 25 on the sensor but I was too strapped for time.
Alton

by Alton » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:59 am

C36 wrote:Michael: I would say Point Bob was all of the Ferry Terminal graph (and maybe a little bit more) - second gear 6.0/110 (just had to rattle the sail a little and work the swell to keep it going at times). There was also about 20 minutes of overpowered too. 8-)

Richi: Your most welcome! Happy to pass the board from Chris to you. :D

Nice pleasant session at Point Roberts - 8 degrees, rolling swell, point break, jumps in both directions, even some sun! :D There were some really big swell trains on in the deep water 'channel' to the west that allowed slow-motion jibes! 8-) Even sailed around the point (the 'horn') and got backside pushy rides along the beach. Jumps to starboard while rounding the 'horn'. Fun rides on the smooth faces at the 'horn' wondering if you were going to get thrown onto the beach. :o Really fun little session! :D

Even got out skiing later the same day too! Nice reminder of what the west coast can deliver! 8-)

Hey Dave - I would say you scored a triple. PR + Seymour + Family Time.

I was on the fence for Sunday morning because I assumed the Blow Me- sensor tends to read higher than actual - I was obviously wrong.

How would you compare the wind strength at PR (Sun) compared to CB (Thu)? It was just right (only sometimes overpowered) for my 5.2/93L at CB. Would I have needed bigger gear on Sunday?
Alton

Next

Return to Weather Talk and OSR