Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Environment Canada Historical Marine Forecasts

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by mjamero » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:17 am

Where can I access historical Marine Forecasts from Environment Canada? Canada Day at Jericho was pretty wild and I want to look back and see what the marine forecast was and compare to the actual stats from iWindsurf. The challenge is Enviro Canada updates the marine forecasts every few hours and I don't see anyplace on the site to look backwards. I'm starting to create a personal session log and the marine forecast is one of the things I want to log.

For those unsure what I am refereeing to here is the real-time forecast. This is the same place Jericho Sailing Club gets their marine forecast I believe.

http://weather.gc.ca/marine/forecast_e. ... teID=14305
mjamero

by Alton » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:37 am

Even if you did find historical data, I wouldn't put much weight in the EC marine forecasts because they generalize the forecast for a very large body of water. Actuals are very localized. The Strait of Georgia South of Nanaimo is only a very, very, very rough estimate for Vancouver. I even ignore the Howe Sound forecasts when predicting localized conditions for Squamish.
Alton

by mjamero » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:08 pm

Yeah I agree the Environment Canada forecast versus what actually materializes locally can very significantly. I am curious though if some generalizations can be made. For example, if Environment Canada says Georgia Straight South of Nanaimo will blow at 15knots, then a rough estimate for Jericho would be 5knots less? Regardless, historical info could still be interesting and useful.
mjamero

Return to Weather Talk and OSR