Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Squamish This Week

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Alton » Mon May 11, 2015 7:24 pm

Glad I spent Mother's Day weekend at my daughter's regatta to score today's EPIC session at Squamish. Started at 12:30pm on 7m+surfboard with the usual suspects (Clay 9m, Rob W 9m, Steve 7m and Cash 13.5!). Of course, Cash didn't last very long until moving down to 9m. Super steady SW 30-35! with nicely formed waves everywhere. 100% depower worked just right for me. Fun riding 2 hrs with Steve, Clay and Rob by the cliffs before taking a break. After some coffee, went for another 2 hrs with about 10 other kiters and 2 windsurfers (Filip and Richard). This time I was enjoying the waist high smoothies along the Nexen side. The sweetest waves were close to the second marker.

Today was the perfect setup, cloudy in Vancouver with clear blue sky and warm wind in Squamish.

We felt sorry for Jack (the ripper), sadly watching us heavy weights. Eventually, 3 of us (Cash, Brett and I) held down Jack launching on his 7m before aborting - smart move!

Fortunately, the wind eased off to SW 25-30 and we safely launched Jack and left him hucking big air with big smiles ... way to go Jack!

Squamish_Mon_May_11.gif
Squamish_Mon_May_11.gif (18.9 KiB) Viewed 17957 times
Alton

by Alton » Mon May 11, 2015 7:28 pm

Chuck wrote:Frankly I'm a little dismayed this was not properly forecast by the powers that be!

If this continues I might have to consider cancelling my WTF membership and having my dues and fees refunded :P

Dammit Alton! WTF!!!

WTF Chuck! WindGuru called it and I said ...

Alton wrote:Some models call for some clearing this afternoon so I'll continue watching the cloud cover and hope to pull the trigger today.
Alton

by Jack1587 » Mon May 11, 2015 7:37 pm

Alton wrote:We felt sorry for Jack (the ripper), sadly watching us heavy weights. Eventually, 3 of us (Cash, Brett and I) held down Jack launching on his 7m before aborting - smart move!

Fortunately, the wind eased off to SW 25-30 and we safely launched Jack and left him hucking big air with big smiles ... way to go Jack!

Squamish_Mon_May_11.gif

Thank you guys so much for the help! :D Once you guys left I was still scary overpowered :lol: But I could handle it on the water with a foot of depower :lol: I had the biggest jumps of my kiteboarding life today! It felt like I was 20 feet in the sky but I doubt I really was :lol: It got a bit punchy later but still really fun. I had a solid hour before calling it quits because it was crazy shifty and gusty :D
Jack1587

by Chuck » Mon May 11, 2015 7:50 pm

Alton wrote:
Chuck wrote:Frankly I'm a little dismayed this was not properly forecast by the powers that be!

If this continues I might have to consider cancelling my WTF membership and having my dues and fees refunded :P

Dammit Alton! WTF!!!

WTF Chuck! WindGuru called it and I said ...

Alton wrote:Some models call for some clearing this afternoon so I'll continue watching the cloud cover and hope to pull the trigger today.

Erm, perhaps you can tell me where the 30+ knots gusts are forecast here on Windguru... :lol:

Seriously though, stoked you guys scored and I would have loooved to watch Cash hold down his 13.5!!! :shock: :o :shock:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (747.05 KiB) Viewed 17959 times
Chuck

by Alton » Mon May 11, 2015 8:07 pm

Chuck wrote:Erm, perhaps you can tell me where the 30+ knots gusts are forecast here on Windguru... :lol:

Seriously though, stoked you guys scored and I would have loooved to watch Cash hold down his 13.5!!! :shock: :o :shock:

WindGuru for Squamish: SW 3-4 is a classic Squamish day. SW 5+ is windy. WindGuru like other models are far from precise so you'll need to supplement it with other factors. If you were watching the satellite image you should have seen Squamish cloud clearing towards noon. This was also predicted by WindGuru (% cloud cover - low). Most importantly, cloud over Vancouver is an obvious tell tale for nuking conditions.

Sorry, I didn't post my pulling the trigger but trying to juggle work and pleasure is tricky business. Anyway, Tuesday looks like another good day - but not as strong as today.
Alton

by Alton » Mon May 11, 2015 8:12 pm

C36 wrote:Alton: Suprized you didn't try for Gordon's - from the looks of the session logs on BWD it cranked there on Sunday.

Hope you pulled the trigger on Squamish today (graph shows its a solid 30 now).

Since it was Mother's Day (sadly not Father's Day) I thought it was best to preserve my martial status and refrain from any water activities. Certainly, paid off today with 4 hrs in SW 30-35!
Alton

by Alton » Mon May 11, 2015 8:19 pm

Jack1587 wrote:Thank you guys so much for the help! :D Once you guys left I was still scary overpowered :lol: But I could handle it on the water with a foot of depower :lol: I had the biggest jumps of my kiteboarding life today! It felt like I was 20 feet in the sky but I doubt I really was :lol: It got a bit punchy later but still really fun. I had a solid hour before calling it quits because it was crazy shifty and gusty :D

Brett thought it would be funny to watch you float over the ferry terminal over to Nexen ... but he was actually relieved when you aborted the first time.
Alton

by Jack1587 » Tue May 12, 2015 7:41 am

Alton wrote:Brett thought it would be funny to watch you float over the ferry terminal over to Nexen ... but he was actually relieved when you aborted the first time.

I was sure there was another reason why he wanted me to go out so bad :lol: I'm both sad and glad I didn't go out earlier yesterday but I lived to kite another day so all is well that ends well I guess :D If you change the graph to km/h and edit out the km/h sign its intense :lol:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (111.28 KiB) Viewed 17915 times
Jack1587

by Alton » Tue May 12, 2015 9:01 am

Once again Squamish is clearing nicely and inflowing early :D

SATELLITE

LILLOOET

PEMBERTON

WHISTLER

SQUAMISH
Alton