Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Squamish...so hot right now!

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by spinmaster3000 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:21 am

Thanks, Brett. I'll steer clear, then.

So, now what...?

brettliv wrote:Words of caution from a firefighter with 25 years of experience:

Such a large fire would have degraded the blacktop under the pier. Also, the amount of smoke would have generated unburned particulate which would have become trapped under the dock. Both the degraded blacktop and the unburned particulate will cool and eventually fall into the water creating a "toxic soup". This "soup" finding its way into your nose and/or mouth could be the seeds of a serious injury or potentially cancer. You should not be kiting there this weekend.
spinmaster3000

by Alton » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:22 am

Such a large fire would have degraded the blacktop under the pier. Also, the amount of smoke would have generated unburned particulate which would have become trapped under the dock. Both the degraded blacktop and the unburned particulate will cool and eventually fall into the water creating a "toxic soup". This "soup" finding its way into your nose and/or mouth could be the seeds of a serious injury or potentially cancer. You should not be kiting there this weekend.

Thanks Brett. Nice to get a professional opinion. Now I don't feel so bad comitting to a weekend with the family.

Cheers
Alton

by C36 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:01 am

spinmaster3000 wrote:Thanks, Brett. I'll steer clear, then. So, now what...?

:idea: Westerly Friday afternoon
:idea: UBC Gear Swap (Apr 18)
:idea: Hunters Beach
:idea: Nitinat
:idea: Florence

Alton wrote:Thanks Brett. Nice to get a professional opinion. Now I don't feel so bad comitting to a weekend with the family. Cheers

Thanks for the warning Brett. :evil: That's what I feared - a lot of press coverage about the air quality impacts, but very little discussion of the marine impacts from what I have seen.

/edit a few more ideas added
C36

by Slappy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:58 am

... "toxic soup" ... cancer. You should not be kiting there this weekend.

So how long do you figure before it's safe?
Slappy

by brettliv » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:58 pm

I was sent that email from my dad this morning. He knew I was planning on heading up to the spit this weekend.

I don't think it would be appropriate for him to guess on when it would be safe. The last thing I want to do is start a rumor and compromise the popularity of the spit.

It may be worthwhile to contact the District of Squamish and request information
brettliv

by spinmaster3000 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:20 pm

Sunday is pretty much the only day for me...thanks for the suggestions! Hunter's Beach sounds pretty cool and doable for a day trip if there's nothing closer going off.

C36 wrote:

spinmaster3000 wrote:Thanks, Brett. I'll steer clear, then. So, now what...?

:idea: Westerly Friday afternoon
:idea: UBC Gear Swap (Apr 18)
:idea: Hunters Beach
:idea: Nitinat
:idea: Florence

Alton wrote:Thanks Brett. Nice to get a professional opinion. Now I don't feel so bad comitting to a weekend with the family. Cheers

Thanks for the warning Brett. :evil: That's what I feared - a lot of press coverage about the air quality impacts, but very little discussion of the marine impacts from what I have seen.

/edit a few more ideas added
spinmaster3000

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR