Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Westerly Friday?

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by C36 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:16 am

Arrived at Acadia just as the wind tanked and my heart sank. Wind freshened and so did my mood. Richi was first out on 5.3/97 and that left M and I spitting the difference (5.3/110 and 6.1/110). Wind and swell continued to build and came in for Quad 92 (set as twin)/5.3 - not a big fan of directional twin set up (even with them right way around :oops: :twisted: ) and switched back to quad fins (much better). Dave B came up to join us - man that guy rips on a kite! 8-) Richi, Jen and I closed up shop to a glorious warm orange sunset! Big crowd, good wind, rolling water, nice and warm! :D :D :D

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow

Pre-Session OSR 1
Pre-Session OSR 2
Post-Session OSR
C36

by Richi » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:32 am

Glorious day at Acadia, not sure when the last time I saw so many happy people down there, maybe 2 years ago? Hopefully thats the start to more westerlies finally panning out. I thought I was going to have bragging rights by being first on and last off, but C36 was hiding under his sail on the water and came in last. Totally spent after 3+ hours powered up on a 5.3/78l combo. It couldnt have ended any better with a spectacular sunset and Vancouver dismantling the calgary flames. Go canucks go!
Richi

by Simon » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:19 am

Great first time session at Acadia and first of the year. I have been waiting a long time for an Acadia session, finally the stars alined. Nice to see some of the regular crew there. Warm air, warm water and big swell. Rigged 5.4/104, 104 board a bit big for the water conditions. Had to leave early, but looking forward to more, may be kiting next time?
Simon

by Alton » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:13 am

Simon wrote:Great first time session at Acadia and first of the year. I have been waiting a long time for an Acadia session, finally the stars alined. Nice to see some of the regular crew there. Warm air, warm water and big swell. Rigged 5.4/104, 104 board a bit big for the water conditions. Had to leave early, but looking forward to more, may be kiting next time?

Congrats on your first Acadia session. I regret not joining you guys as I was getting worked kiting strapless - windsurfing Acadia would have been much more enjoyable. But then I realized my first session at Acadia (7 years ago) felt exactly the same - maximum adrenaline, blowing my jumps off the ramps and difficulty keeping ground. No pain, no gain.
Alton

by Faceplant » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:06 am

Nice shots Dave.
I had a short fun session at the kite beach. Very swirly, gusty challenging winds at the beach. It was all about timing. If you could launch during a decent gust, and keep your kite in the sky long enough to get your board and go you were golden. Out 50 meters from shore it was better wind, and out a few hundred meters there was some nice big swells. Quite gusty however. Still really nice to get out in the warm temps, warm water big waves, nice sandy beach, smiling people, and to top off the awesome day... the Canucks kicked some serious Calgary ass last night!!!!! :lol:
Faceplant

by Slappy » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:33 am

It was a rough day down at the kite launch for me on my 10m last night, wish I had pumped 7m instead.

The wind close to shore was as nasty as I have ever seen it. Even 200m out it was still garbage. After that it was okay but still very gusty.

Once I worked my way up a couple hundred meters past the marker the wind was too much and I was getting lofted off my board, riding with full de power the whole time.

The only waves with decent organization I could find were 200m off shore just West of Dog Beach. Trouble was the wind in there was terrible, still got a few good turns in though.

It was a good day for port tack airs though with the swell direction. Getting closer on my strapless backroll.

A very tiring 2 hours on the water but still good times.
Slappy

by Alton » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:43 am

Slappy wrote:Getting closer on my strapless backroll.

Nice
Alton

by spinmaster3000 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:24 pm

Beautiful pictures! I love the Goya Quad - have a 78L, myself...beautiful board to ride and feels like it has 4WD on the face of a wave!!

Sadly, I was working - probably could have made an evening sesh, but it ended up being too rushed. Looking forward to getting on the water this weekend if people are still going out. Can make it tomorrow, but not today.

Looking forward to meeting more of the community out here - have only been in BC 2.5 years!

Cheers,
Jeff.

C36 wrote:Arrived at Acadia just as the wind tanked and my heart sank. Wind freshened and so did my mood. Richi was first out on 5.3/97 and that left M and I spitting the difference (5.3/110 and 6.1/110). Wind and swell continued to build and came in for Quad 92 (set as twin)/5.3 - not a big fan of directional twin set up (even with them right way around :oops: :twisted: ) and switched back to quad fins (much better). Dave B came up to join us - man that guy rips on a kite! 8-) Richi, Jen and I closed up shop to a glorious warm orange sunset! Big crowd, good wind, rolling water, nice and warm! :D :D :D

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow

Pre-Session OSR 1
Pre-Session OSR 2
Post-Session OSR
spinmaster3000

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR