Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Locust / Whidbey - Friday Afternoon

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Alton » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:42 pm

It was a stellar 7m day at Locust - S 25-35 gusting 40+ day. I had some errands in Bellingham so I arrived early at 11am. Totally lit on my 7m with 100% depower, nailing gybes (switching feet) was easy when there's plenty of power for support.

Had a minor incident, carving a wicked gybe but hit bottom, crashed my kite and popped a tube (connecting the strut to bladder). The bladder deflated and went into a kite loop. Immediately, punched out my quick release and walked back to shore in shallow water to inspect and re-assembly everything - no damage. At home, I checked all my tubes (both kites) and the only tube without a zip strap was the one that popped - go figure.

The early afternoon session was dominated by Canucks - myself (7m), Jerry (7m), George (6m) and Dave/C36 (windsurfing) before the locals rolled in. Way past the shipwreck, George discovered a shelf where sweet breaking waves were 200 ft apart. Dave and Jerry joined George for some great wave rides while I was tending to my kite :cry: .

After returning to the water I scored 3.5 hours TOW of strapless riding in some awesome smooth breaking waves before calling it a day at 4pm. Still S 25-30 when we left.

Locust_Fri_Apr_10.gif
Locust_Fri_Apr_10.gif (18.79 KiB) Viewed 3637 times
Alton

by Chris Klohn » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:50 pm

Awesome score Alton! The tide was way too far out at Useless from 1pm until 4pm on the webcam. Sweet you found some wave opportunities on low tide too. How is D-Cup wave session for JWSP looking for tomorrow?
Chris Klohn

by george » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:39 pm

Locust delivered again, nice steady wind and waves. I think the wind meter, being up on the bluff, embellishes the range of the wind...I didn't find it too gusty today. Nice and steady, no rain either.
Its a bit of work to get out in the bay, but worth it. Saw Dave nail the sultry duck gybe, too. Nice one. That was my best move back in the day...well, it was my only move really...loved them. Done right, you come out of the turn with power early.
Good times, good that all ended well with the kite Alton. Nice when everything is going south, you just stand up. I exploded a couple of times, and then just got everything together in waist to chest deep water.
Have a great day at WI, if it goes tomorrow.
George
george

by C36 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:45 am

:shock: There's an outer reef at Locust! Who knew!?! :D ;)

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow

Pre-Session OSR
Post-Session OSR
C36

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR